Lemon cake with lemon royal icing
topped with popping candy and sugar lemons
- 200g condensed milk
- 140g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 60 ml melted butter or margarine
- (optional) - 5 tbsp lemon juice
- Juice of TWO lemons
- (optional) - rind of lemons (to be used in mixture)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
Mix the flour mixture with, condensed milk, melted butter, lemon 75ml of water together and beat well.
Pour the mixture into a greased (6") diameter tin.
Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6) for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees (Gas Mark 2) and bake for a further 10-20 minutes.
When springy remove from over and place on a cooling rack, if not cooked leave for a further 5 minutes.
Cool the cake.
Before the sponge is cooked you may find it too lemon infused, however once baked, the flavour of lemon is more subtle.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (138 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (92 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)