Date, Carrot and Orange Spice Loaf
- 225g Dried Dates (Snipped into Small Pieces)
- 125ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 170g Grated Carrot
- 125g Butter
- Grated Zest of 1 Small Orange
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 175g gluten free plain flour
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 170C / Gas 3. Grease and line two 1lb loaf tins.
Put the dates into a medium pan with the water and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda, cover with a lid and leave for around 5 minutes. The dates should absorb the water and become soft and pulpy.
Add the butter, orange zest and juice and stir until the butter has melted. Allow to cool a little.
Using a blender, or hand held stick blender, puree the date mixture.
Add half the grated carrots and blend again until the carrots have a finer texture, then repeat with the rest of the grated carrot.
Add the beaten egg.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and allspice and add gradually to the date mixture together with the ground almonds. Mix well until smoth.
Pour into the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the tin for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes two Loaves.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (154 Votes)
- Brioche loaf 4.2/5 (67 Votes)
- Banana Loaf 3.4/5 (132 Votes)
- Date and Banana Smoothie 3.3/5 (126 Votes)
- Fruit & spice soda bread 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Carrot salad with orange 4.2/5 (37 Votes)