A rich, thick, sour and sweet sauce made in Indian style for Pumpkin lovers.
- 1 Medium Pumpkin
- 2 large Pink Onions
- 2 Chilli Pods
- 4 Pods Dry Red Chillies
- 10-12 Pods of Pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Urad dal - skinned black gram
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 ltr. water
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 300 gms Cane Jaggery
- 200 gms Tamarind paste
- butter/ghee (optional) to flavour
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Remove the pumpkin skin and dice it in large cubes
Chop Onions and green chillies in to small pieces
Grind peppers in to a coarse grain
In a wok/kadai sputter the mustard, black gram and curry leaves, with the dry chillies according to taste
Add in the onions and the diced pumpkin. Fry till onions turn brown, pumpkins must turn pinkish orange
Add water and simmer for 20 minutes. Dissolve the jaggery in the water.
Add turmeric and salt to taste, cover with lid.
When the sauce is just boiling, add the tamarind paste.
Simmer in open kadai/wok for 3 minutes and remove from flame
Let the sauce cool down for at least 60 minutes. This also ensures the pumpkins soak well. Serve with Hot Rice and Butter/Ghee to taste.
You could customize the seasonings and avoid Red Chillies if you are sensitive to spice.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (458 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Lamb Samosa 3.3/5 (188 Votes)
- Pumpkin and cinnamon jam 3.4/5 (150 Votes)
- Halloween pumpkin cake 3.5/5 (121 Votes)
- Eggplant Caponata 4.1/5 (20 Votes)