Hot Milk Chocolate Sponge
This is a lovely, light and very tasty sponge cake.
- 3 Eggs
- 8oz Caster Sugar
- 4oz Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 fluid oz Milk
- 1oz Margarine
- Chocolate Butter Icing
- 3oz Butter - softened
- 8oz Icing Sugar - sifted
- 2 tbsp Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa blended with 3 tbsp boiling water - cooled
- 1 packet Cadbury's Buttons
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
Grease two 7 inch sandwich tins with melted margarine, then line both with grease proof paper & grease again.
Whisk the eggs & sugar together really well until very thick & pale. Sift together the flour & cocoa powder & carefully fold into the eggs. Sprinkle the mixture with baking powder. Place the milk & margarine in a small pan & bring to the boil. Pour over the egg mixture. Allow to froth up then fold into the mixture. Pour into the prepared sandwich tins. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
For the icing beat the butter, icing sugar & blended cocoa together. Spread 3 tbsp over one cake. Use the rest of the icing to either:
1) Place into a piping bag & pipe a border around the already iced cake. Spread the remaining icing onto the other cake.
2) Spread all the remaining icing onto the other cake.
Then sandwich both cakes together. Decorate with the chocolate buttons by rubbing them between your fingers to make them shine. Enjoy
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (454 Votes)
- Christmas Carrot Chocolate Nutty... 3.8/5 (196 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.4/5 (250 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (159 Votes)
- MARS BAR SQUARES 3.4/5 (140 Votes)
- Romantic Chocolate Kissing Pie 3.7/5 (119 Votes)