Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 C cooked chicken
- finely diced
- 1 C boiled potatoes
- cut into small chunks
- 1/2 C boiled carrots
- 1/2 C boiled white onion pieces
- 1/2 C cooked peas
- 4 C chicken stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1.5 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C shortening
- 4 tbsp cold water
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Place chicken pieces in the bottom of a pie dish or baking pan.
Add potatoes, carrots, peas, and onions to dish.
Prepare gravy: melt butter and blend with flour, forming a roux. Gradually add chicken stock stirring constantly until smooth. Bring to a boil, and season to taste.
Pour gravy over chicken and vegetable mixture in baking dish. Allow to cool before adding top crust.
Prepare top crust: sift flour and salt and cut in shortening until well-mixed. Gradually add cold water until dough is proper consistency. Roll out on floured board.
Place rolled-out top crust on baking dish, and make a few incisions in the top. Bake at 350F until crust is brown.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken and Mediterranean bake 5/5 (66 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)
- Romantic Apple pie 3.4/5 (137 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.