Chicken pot pie
My mum used to make this for me when i was a kid and i really enjoyed it.
- 3 OXO Chicken Cubes
- 8 drumsticks
- skins removed
- 1 medium onion
- peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots
- peeled and chopped
- 500ml water
- 70g frozen peas
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- worcester sauce
- ground black pepper
- 1 sheet pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- whisked up for brushing pastry
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 170°C.
Place the drumsticks in a pan with the carrots, onions and water. Bring to the boil and crumble in the OXO cubes.
Reduce to a low simmer and cook for 50-60 minutes.
Remove the drumsticks and allow to cool. Once they are cool enough to handle,
strip the meat from the drumsticks, leaving it in large chunks and discard the bones.
Add a dash of worcester sauce and lots of ground pepper to the remaining stock. Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp of cold water and mix into a paste.
Add to the stock and bring to the boil. Once it has thickened, return to a low simmer and add the peas and the chicken.
Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Spread the mixture evenly into a large dish.
Cut the pastry so that it can cover the top of the pie with plenty of overlap.
Brush the pastry with the egg and place on top of the pie, pressing down the edges.
Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and everything is cooked through and piping hot.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Best-Ever Cheesy Bacon Macaroni... 3.2/5 (122 Votes)
- Chicken pot pie 4/5 (32 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Low carb chicken pie 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Pie 4/5 (7 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.