Easy chicken & mushroom pie
- 2 large onions
- 450g chicken breast
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 desert spoon tomato pure (optional)
- 1 desert spoon garlic pure (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 tins of soup - chicken
- mushroom or 1 of each
- 1 pack of defrosted puff pastry
- Knob of butter
- Teaspoon olive oil
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Roughly chop the onions and mushrooms and cut the chicken into 1" cubes.
In a large saucepan, slowly melt olive oil and butter. Add onions and cook until soft. Add mushrooms and saute for a further 2 minutes.
Add chicken and cook until chicken cubes are white and sealed. Add garlic/tomato pure and the two cans of soup. Bring the contents of the pan to the boil and then remove from the heat.
Pour contents of saucepan into an oven proof dish that is big enough to provide 4 portions of pie and allow mixture to cool for approx 20 mins.
While mixture is cooling, roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface until the pastry is big enough to overlap your pie dish by 1". Leave pastry to rest for 5mins and then re-check that it has not shrunk back and is still big enough to overlap the pie dish.
In a small dish beat the egg. When the chicken mix has cooled down to "warm", brush the edges of the pie dish with beaten egg and then place your rolled out pastry over the pie dish. Using index finger and thumb, press and crimp the pastry to fix it to the pie dish. Prick middle of the pastry with a fork. Brush the whole pie with more beaten egg.
Cook in the middle to top part of the oven on gas mark 5 for40 minutes or until risen and brown.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (455 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (219 Votes)
- Chicken and Mediterranean bake 5/5 (66 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (175 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)