Pan-fried lemon sole with caper and parsley dressing
- 4 fillets lemon sole
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp groundnut oil
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2tbsp nonpareilles (small) capers
- 2tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- squeeze lemon juice
- For the potatoes
- 250g (8oz) new potatoes
- halved if large
- 15g (½oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) watercress
- stalks removed
- lemon wedges
- to serve
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Put the potatoes in a small pan of boiling salted water and boil for 10-12 minutes, or until tender, then drain.
Meanwhile, dust the lemon cod fillets in seasoned flour and shake off the excess. Heat the groundnut oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat, add the cod skin-side down and fry for 2 minutes. Carefully flip the fish using a palette knife and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter and swirl it around the pan. Add the capers, parsley and a generous squeeze of lemon juice, and season well. Spoon the buttery sauce over the fish a few times to baste it, then divide the fillets between 2 serving plates and pour over the rest of the sauce.
For the potatoes, melt the butter and add the cooked potatoes and the watercress. Season and toss to wilt the watercress slightly. Divide the potatoes between the 2 plates, alongside the fish, and serve immediately (with some lemon wedges, if you like).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (138 Votes)
- Pumpkin and cinnamon jam 3.4/5 (150 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Quinoa In a Jar 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Italian Panfried Chicken 4.1/5 (68 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli with Toasted... 3.3/5 (124 Votes)
- Green Olive Tapenade 2.9/5 (133 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.