Gedeckter Apfelkuchen (Topped-off Apple Cake)
Delicious German apple cake with nuts and glazed finish.
- 300g flour
- 250g sugar
- 150g butter
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 500g dried peas (for blind baking)
- 500g apples
- juice from 1 lemon
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g currants
- 50g flaked almonds
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 shot glasses of Kirschwasser (Cherrywater)
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Sieve the flour into a bowl and add 150g of the sugar, the butter, the eggs and the salt.
Knead into a dough, cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
Roll out two thirds of the dough into a thin layer and line the base and sides of a (greased) spring form with it.
Pierce the base several times with a fork before covering it with the dried peas.
Blind bake the base for 15 minutes on the second tray from the bottom in an oven pre-heated to 200 degrees Celsius.
Peal, quarter and core the apples; then slice.
Steam them for 10 minutes in some water together with the remaining 100g sugar, the lemon juice, cinnamon, currants, almonds and hazelnuts.
Roll out the remaining dough to top-off the cake.
Discard the peas and fill the cake base with the steamed apple mixture.
Cover the filled cake with the rolled out dough and brush with the egg yolk.
Bake the cake for a further 30 minutes.
Allow to cool while still in the form. Once cooled, warm the apricot jam and brush onto the top of the cake.
Once the jam has dried, stir the icing sugar into the Kirschwasser and glaze the cake with it.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (453 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Toffee Apple Cupcakes 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)