- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp aged white cheddar)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 - 4 tbs ice water
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 7mins
Cost Budget Friendly
First, mix together the shredded cheese, half of the salt and the softened butter. (I used sharp aged white cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. I shredded my own cheese just because I think it has better flavor and melts better, but you can use pre-shredded too to save some time!) Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).
Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares.
Preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little cheez-its onto the parchment paper, make a hole in the center of each with a toothpick, then sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don't burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (205 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Easy Chocolate Mousse 3.4/5 (201 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne 4.2/5 (80 Votes)
- Rye and Spelt Flatbreads 3.4/5 (134 Votes)