Caramel Apple Lattice
A rich all butter pastry apple lattice with an indulgent caramel sauce. Best served warm and can be accompanied with vanilla or almond crunch ice-cream, custard or pouring cream.
- 500g (1.1lbs) plain flour
- 350g (120z) butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 125ml water (if required)
- Apple & Caramel Filling
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) soft brown sugar
- 6-8 apples
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
For the pastry blend flour, butter, sugar and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Mix in egg and water (if required) to form a stiff dough.
Chill until ready to use.
Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC, 425º F, gas mark 7.
Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour to form a paste.
Add water, caster sugar and brown sugar and bring to the boil.
Reduce temperature and allow to simmer.
Line a 10 inch round pastry dish with ¾ of the chilled dough.
Return pastry case and remaining pastry to refrigerator whilst preparing the apples.
Peel, core and cut 6-8 apples into chunks and arrange in a slight mound in the prepared pastry dish.
Roll out remaining pastry and cut into strips and cover the apples to form a lattice top.
Gently pour the sugar mixture over the pastry lattice and apples.
Bake lattice for 15 minutes at 220ºC, 425º F, gas mark 7.
Then reduce temperature to 180ºC, 350º F, gas mark 4 and bake for a further 35-45 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (459 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Saint marcellin cheese and ham... 3.7/5 (148 Votes)
- Salmon en croute 4.6/5 (42 Votes)
- Romantic Apple pie 3.4/5 (137 Votes)
- Hungarian Apple Pie 3.3/5 (136 Votes)
- Caramelised apple millefeuille... 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
- Mini Millionaire Shortbread 3.3/5 (120 Votes)