seasonal christmas cake
this is another passed down recipe been in the family for years, great for making beautiful centerpieces at parties
- 650g/1lb 7 oz dried mixed fruit (or a combination of currants
- raisins and sultanas)
- 75g/3oz glace cherries (chopped)
- 50g flaked almonds (omit and use extra dried dried fruit for a nut free cake)
- Grated zest of 1/2 an orange and 1/2 a lemon
- 215g/7.5oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 175g/6oz butter (softened)
- 175g/6oz sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp brandy (or cherry brandy)
Level of difficulty Difficult
Cooking time 160mins
Cost Average budget
Put the dried fruit, nuts and cherries in a large bowl.
Add the brandy (or use lemon or orange juice) and stir well.
Cover the bowl with cling film and leave overnight.
Next day, grease and line a 18cm/7" round or 15cm/6" square tin with a double thickness of grease proof paper.
In another bowl cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, lemon/orange zest, flour and spice and mix well.
Fold in the fruit and nuts and mix until well combined.
Spoon into the prepared tin and level off the mixture.
Bake in a pre-heated oven 150C/Gas 2 for around 3 hours. Turn the oven down slightly for the last 30 minutes, if the cake starts to get too brown.
Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack. When cold, wrap the cake tightly in a double layer of foil or clingfilm and store in an airtight box until needed
Test if the cake is cooked by sticking in a sharp knife or skewer. If it comes out clean then the cake is cooked. decorate and enjoy
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (204 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)