Delicious, gooey Brownie
- 200g/7oz butter
- plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 175g/6oz soft light brown sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 50g/1¾oz cocoa powder
- 125g/4½oz plain dark chocolate
- 125g/4½oz white chocolate
- 100g/3½oz walnuts
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Lightly butter a 20x30cm/8x12in rectangle brownie or tray bake tin and line the base and sides with a large sheet of baking parchment
Put the butter in a medium saucepan and place over a very low heat until only just melted. Remove the butter from the heat and stir in the sugars until well combined. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until smooth and slowly pour the butter and sugar mixture on top, stirring constantly until well combined.
Put the flour and cocoa powder in a sieve and sift on top of the egg and butter mixture. Beat hard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. (This will prevent the chocolate chunks melting too quickly when they are added to the batter.)
Put all the chocolate on a board and cut into chunky pieces with a large knife. You want the chunks to be around 1.5cm/¾in. Break the walnuts in half. Stir the chocolate pieces and nuts into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared tin and spread to all the corners with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon.
Bake the brownie in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture is crusty on the surface and lightly cooked inside. Do not allow it to overcook as the cake will become spongy rather than gooey in the centre.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes. Take out of the tin and transfer to a board. Cut into squares or rectangles to serve warm or leave to cool completely if serving cold.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Christmas Carrot Chocolate Nutty... 3.8/5 (197 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.3/5 (255 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Cupcake Recipe For Kids 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Black bean brownies 4.6/5 (62 Votes)