FRUIT TEA BREAD (HARD CAKE)
A family recipe nick named ` hard cake` because it`s rock hard when removed from the oven. My aunt used to send the cake to my father when he was in the forces in Germany. The cake will last for three months if kept well wrapped.
- 3 Cups of Self Raising Flour
- 2 Cups of Dried Mixed Fruit
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Salt
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Average budget
Pre set oven to gas 4.
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
Line a 7" Tin with parchment and fill with mixture.
Place on the middle shelf of the oven for approx 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
When cold wrap in foil and leave for at least a week before eating.
Spread with butter. You can replace some of the milk with whisky or brandy for a change.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (468 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (167 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Garlic Bread 4.6/5 (58 Votes)
- Recipe: Courgette and Apple Jam,... 3.5/5 (135 Votes)
- Easy & Quick Apple Crumble 3.5/5 (128 Votes)
- Smoothie Get Your Greens 3.5/5 (117 Votes)