Parsnip and Apple Crumble
A traditional apple crumble, with the added surprise of parsnip for flavour and nutrients!
- For the filling:
- 3 apples
- 1 parsnip
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp water
- For the crumble topping:
- 50g porridge oats
- 50g plain flour
- 25g sugar
- 40g butter
- at room temperature
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 180C
Peel and core the apples and chop into chunks. Peel and grate the parsnip and place it, along with the apple, into a small ovenproof dish. Combine the tablespoon of flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger and sprinkle it over the apples and parsnips, mixing until coated. Sprinkle a tablespoon of water over it all.
In a large bowl mix together the porridge oats, flour and sugar. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Pour the crumble mixture over the filling and bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the crumble is golden and the filling is soft.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (467 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (212 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (205 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Moroccan marinated chicken with... 3.5/5 (150 Votes)
- Apple Bread and Butter Pudding 3.4/5 (149 Votes)