Thai style rice salad with chicken, Pink Lady® apple and mango
- A large bunch of coriander
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2 shallots
- 2-3cm piece fresh root ginger
- 1 fat clove garlic
- 1-3 red birds eye chillies
- roughly chopped (to taste)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Juice and zest 2 limes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts
- skinless & boneless
- 250g brown rice
- 2 large or 3 medium Pink Lady® apples
- cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 ripe mango
- flesh chopped into
- bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp salted peanuts
- roughly chopped (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Trim the coriander by removing the very ends of the stalks. Remove a handful of leaves and set aside for a garnish. Roughly chop the rest of the leaves and stalks and add to a food processor. Trim the lemongrass by removing the tough outer leaves and then roughly chop the inner stem and add to the processor, along with the shallots to the food processor, along with the ginger, garlic, chillies, fish sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and zest. Season with a little salt and pepper and process until smooth. Stop the motor to push the paste down the bowl once or twice to ensure it is evenly processed.
Make 3 or 4 deep slashes through each chicken breast to allow the marinade to penetrate more easily, taking care not to cut all the way through. Spoon half of the coriander paste onto the chicken and spread all over, rubbing it in well. Set aside on a plate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Whilst the chicken is marinating, cook the rice according to the packet instructions (it should take around 25 minutes in boiling water.) Drain well and stir through the remaining coriander paste whilst it is still warm.
Lay the chicken breasts in a food steamer and cover with a lid. Steam gently for about 12 minutes until cooked all the way through - use a sharp knife to cut each breast at the thickest point to check there is no pink and cook for a further minute or 2 if necessary.
Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes before shredding into bite sized pieces. Stir through the rice along with the apple and the mango. Pile onto a serving dish and scatter over the peanuts, if using, and garnish with the reserved coriander leaves. Serve whilst still warm or cool and chill in the fridge until you are ready to eat. Best eaten with 24 hours of making.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Strawberry Trifle with Ambrosia... 3.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (146 Votes)
- Ebly wheat salad with chicken 3.5/5 (136 Votes)
- Smoked Duck & Apple Salad 3.4/5 (117 Votes)
- Crab, Corn and Pepper Rice Salad 3.5/5 (106 Votes)
- Cold rice and prawn salad 3.9/5 (25 Votes)