Classic French onion soup
By Chef Damien
- 1 kg of onions
- 50g butter
- 10 cl dry white wine or beer
- 1 L chicken stock or beef
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground pepper
- Espelette pepper (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel and finely chop the onions.
Sweat the onion in butter for 10 minutes with browning.
Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
Add the chicken stock and salt.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and the garlic clove, crushed.
Simmer for 40 to 50 minutes.
Pepper and add a pinch of Espelette pepper if you want.
Serve immediately or can be reheated later!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (175 Votes)
- Noisettes 3.9/5 (112 Votes)
- Leek,onion and mushroom pie 3.8/5 (112 Votes)
- Lobsters in foil 4.9/5 (38 Votes)
- Potato and leek soup with spring... 3.9/5 (72 Votes)