Coq au vin
By Jean-Luc , blog La ferme de Villars 24340- le blog de jean-Luc
- Ingredients for 7-8 people:
- 1 chicken 2.5 kg
- 50 g of duck fat
- 20 g butter
- 100 g smoked bacon lard
- ¾ litre of red wine
- 4 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 250 g fresh button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Cut up the chicken, salt and pepper and set aside.
Peel the onions, cut into quarters and set aside.
Cut the bacon into pieces.
Peel and slice the carrots (3mm thick)
Chop the stalks off the mushrooms, wash them with vinegar water, rinse, drain and set aside.
In a cast iron pan, fry the chicken with duck fat. Add the onions and the flour and brown.
Add 2 tbsp of brandy and flambé, off the heat. Salt and pepper and pour in the red wine.
Cover the casserole. Boil the bacon in a pan of water to remove excess salt.
Add the bacon and carrots to the casserole.
Heat the oven to 210°C. When it is hot, place the casserole in the oven.
Meanwhile, cut the mushrooms into quarters (if large, otherwise leave them whole). Heat them in a pan with no fat so they drain their water. When all the water has evaporated, add butter and fry them. Sat and pepper.
After 1.5 hours, remove the casserole from the oven, add the mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and garlic. If there is not enough liquid in the pot, add a glass of water.
Add a full pinch of grated nutmeg, cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes on medium heat.
Serve the coq au vin, in a serving dish, piping hot, with a few sprigs of parsley on top.
Side dishes: steamed potatoes, mash or macaroni pasta served al dente.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Beef and red wine ragu 3.5/5 (141 Votes)
- Pasta with wine sauce and peas 3.5/5 (130 Votes)
- Bailey Bolognese 3.7/5 (115 Votes)
- Salmon en croute with pesto and... 3.2/5 (163 Votes)
- Scallop and mushroom fry 3.7/5 (109 Votes)