Classic chilli con carne
- - 750g minced beef
- - 300g tinned red kidney beans
- - 2 large onions
- - 1.5 tbsp sweet chilli
- - 1 tbsp ground cumin
- - 1 tbsp oregano powder
- - 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (Van Hooten for example)
- - 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- - 8 cloves of garlic
- - 500g of tomato puree
- - 25cl beef stock
- - Olive oil
- - Salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel the onions and garlic. Slice the onions and finely chop the garlic.
In a frying pan, lightly fry the onions and garlic over low heat. Do not brown them.
Meanwhile, in a cast iron pan, fry the mince in a little olive oil. Season with salt. Stir regularly.
Add the onions and garlic to the mince.
Season with all the spices and heat over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the tomato puree and beef stock. Check the seasoning. Cook without covering for 1 hour.
Add kidney beans 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
Chilli always taste better the longer you let it simmer slowly, so don't hesitate to make this dish well in advance. And...it tastes even better reheated the next day - you will really get the best of all the flavours.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.7/5 (160 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (175 Votes)
- Best Bolognese 3.5/5 (141 Votes)
- Chilli To Blow Your Mind 3.6/5 (132 Votes)
- Warm cherry tomato and sweetcorn... 3.4/5 (135 Votes)
- Fajitas 3.4/5 (128 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.