Chilli con carne
By Dominique Guibourg
- 2 large tins of red kidney beans
- 600 to 700g of minced beef
- 5 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red peppers or 2 carrots
- Two large tins of peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- bouquet garni or stock
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Slice the onion finely and cut the red peppers (or carrots) into cubes. Crush the garlic.
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat a little oil. Add the vegetables and sweat for a few minutes. Add the mince and cook another few minutes, breaking up the mince with a fork.
Add the tinned tomatoes, bouquet garni (or stock cube), spices and salt. Simmer for half an hour, covered.
Add the tins of beans and sweetcorn (drained but not rinsed) and cook a further 15 minutes, checking and stirring regularly.
Adjust the seasoning. Add a glass of water if necessary.
Serve with a drizzle of cream (optional but preferable if the dish is spicy).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Best Bolognese 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Stuffed butternut squash 3.6/5 (156 Votes)
- Chilli To Blow Your Mind 3.6/5 (132 Votes)
- Warm cherry tomato and sweetcorn... 3.4/5 (135 Votes)
- Your Ultimate Chilli 3.4/5 (127 Votes)