Genuine German Strudel Pastry
This recipe allows you to create a beautiful Strudel with the filling of your choice.
- 250g flour
- 0.5 cup lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lard (alternatively butter/margarine)
- melted butter (for brushing)
- icing sugar (for dusting)
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Sieve out the flour onto the work surface. Create a hollow in the middle of the flour and add your water, egg and salt into this hollow. Melt the fat and add to the other ingredients. Starting in the middle, knead the mixture into a dough until all the flour has been absorbed.
Thoroughly knead the dough until it is lump free and shiny. Then forcefully throw it onto the work surface 50 to 70 times.
Shape the dough into a ball, cover with an upturned bowl and leave to rest at room temperature for an hour. (You can use this time to prepare the filling.)
Spread a clean tea towel on a table and dust with a little flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thinly as possible onto the tea towel.
Lift the dough off the tea towel. Starting at the centre, carefully pull and stretch the dough over the back of your hands until it is a uniform thickness throughout. The dough should be paper thin and almost transparent. If any small holes appear while stretching the dough, repair these by pushing the dough back together. Cut away any thicker edges which cannot be stretched to match the thickness of the remaining dough.
Brush the dough with melted butter; then fill with the desired filling. Use the tea towel to aid rolling the dough.
Place the Strudel onto a lightly greased baking tray and once again brush with butter.
Bake for 35-45 minutes in an over preheated to 200°C. Once completed, powder the Strudel with icing sugar and, if possible, serve while still hot.
Try to get your dough so thin that you can read a newspaper through it.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (165 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Salmon en croute 4.7/5 (39 Votes)
- Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce) 3.4/5 (143 Votes)
- Saint marcellin cheese and ham... 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Apfel-Streuselkuchen (German Apple... 3.4/5 (132 Votes)