Steamed jam roly poly with jam sauce
- Jam roly poly -
- 225g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 100g grated suet
- 200g jam (any flavour)
- Jam sauce -
- 225g jam
- 1tsp cornflour
- 150ml water
- 1tbsp lemon juice.
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 119mins
Cost Average budget
Roly poly - Sift together the flour & salt. Add the suet and enough cold water to bring the mixture to a dough.
Roll out on a floured side to make a neat oblong shape, roughly 8mm thick.
Place 200g of jam in a bowl and beat to make it easier to spread. Spread this over the rolled out suet dough, keeping away from the edges.
Fold ends of pastry in. Roll together, like making a swiss roll. Wrap loosely in grease proof paper and tie with string.
Place in a covered steamer over a saucepan of boiling water and steam for 2 hours.
Jam sauce - Put 22.5g into a saucepan over a low heat. Blend 1tsp cornflour with 150ml of water and 1tbsp of lemon juice.
Add to the jam and stir over a moderate heat until the jam has melted and the sauce becomes thicker and clear.
When cooked, unwrap the jam roly poly, and serve with jam sauce.
Keep checking the water levels regularly to ensure it doesn't boil dry.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (452 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (95 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.7/5 (160 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (165 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (142 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Steamed Sea Bream 3.3/5 (126 Votes)