Festive Savoury Palmiers
Quick and easy savoury pastries
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry – they range from 320 g – 375 g depending on the brand.
- 300g of sausage meat – either de-skin some sausages
- use sausage meat or at this time of year you can use some ready made festive stuffing
- 1 handful of chopped (cooked) chestnuts. Save the rest for the sprouts on Christmas Day.
- 1 finely chopped banana shallot or a medium onion
- 1 handful of dried cranberries
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves stripped from their stalks
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 beaten egg for glazing
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F and prepare a baking tray with parchment.
Using a fork or your hand, mix the sausage meat, chestnuts, shallots, cranberries, herbs and pepper (no salt at this stage) in a bowl.
Unfurl the pastry sheet (leave it on the paper in which it comes rolled up) and spread the sausage mixture all over it, as evenly as you can.
Snugly roll up both of the long sides until they meet in the middle. Use the paper to help you get started and don’t worry about the rolls being really tight as the pastry puffs up when it cooks.
Brush the pastry all over with the beaten egg.
Using a sharp knife, cut into approx 1.5 cm slices, laying each one out on the baking tray as you slice. You might have to re-form them a little on the tray. Leave some room between them as they do spread out on cooking. I managed to get 13 slices out of my roll, including the ends.
Egg wash the pastry again as well as the exposed filling. Don’t skimp on this step as it makes a huge difference to how beautifully burnished they look once they come out of the oven.
Sprinkle over a little flaky sea salt and more pepper.
Bake for 20 mins and let cool a little before serving.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (230 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (157 Votes)
- Saint marcellin cheese and ham... 3.7/5 (148 Votes)