Thai Prawn Cakes (Thod Man Kung)
500g shelled raw prawns
6 cloves Thai garlic
4 kaffir lime leaves
2 bird eye chillies
2 spring onions
2 tbsp uncooked rice
2 tsp salt
½ litre sunflower oil
2 tbsp cornflour
- 500g shelled raw prawns
- 6 cloves Thai garlic
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 bird eye chillies
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsp uncooked rice
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ litre sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
1. Tip 2 tbsp rice into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat until golden then take off the heat and grind to a powder in a pestal and mortar.
2. Deseed the chillies and tip into a food processor with the garlic, spring onion and kaffir lime leaves and blitz until fine. Now add the raw prawns, the ground rice and 2 tsp salt and blitz until smooth.
3. Turn the prawn mixture onto a board sprinkled with cornflour and roll into a long sausage. Cut the roll into 1cm slices then shape into patties and dust with a little cornflour.
4. Pour enough oil into a frying pan or wok so it’s deep enough to cover the prawn cakes and place over a high heat. Once the oil is sizzling hot then add the prawn cakes and fry for 1 minute or until golden. Remove & drain onto a kitchen paper.
5. Serve with dipping sauce such as a cucumber, chilli or peanut.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.2/5 (197 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (185 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (148 Votes)
- King langoustines with early... 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- ultimate makeover: Fish pie 4.2/5 (86 Votes)