You can attempt to make the custard yourself, but (especially if your name is Beatrix) I would recommend saving yourself the hassle and just buying some in a tin..
- 135g jelly tablet (raspberry flavour)
- 8 trifle sponges
- 2tbsp jam (strawberry/raspberry)
- 1 punnet blackberries (~200g) [Alternatively; go blackberry picking! :D]
- 1 tin of custard
- 300ml whipping cream
- 4-5tbsp granulated sugar
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Make up the jelly according to the pack instructions.
Roughly break the trifle sponges into eights using your fingers. Place into a large bowl.
Spoon the jam into the bowl and stir well. Try to ensure all the sponges are covered with a thin layer of jam.
Add the fruit, giving a quick stir. Try to keep them evenly spaced (not all at the top or all at the bottom).
When the jelly is cool but not set, pour it into the bowl. It should just cover all the sponge and fruit.
Place in the fridge to set.
When the jelly is set (it should not take too long and it's not a major issue if it's not completely solid) pour the custard evenly over the top.
Whisk the whipping cream vigourously in a bowl until soft peaks start to form, but it is still fairly liquidy.
Add the sugar.
Continue whisking until firm peaks form.
Dollop the whipped cream on top of the custard and use the spoon to make it as evenly spread as possible.
Sprinkle any remaining fruit (and sprinkles if you like) on the top and serve.
Use a tablespoon to serve and store, covered in clingfilm, in a fridge. Best eaten within a couple of days!
If you like, replace the raspberry jelly with orange or tangerine flavour and swap the blackberries for oranges.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (458 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (223 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Apple and Blackberry Crumble... 3.8/5 (101 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Scary Halloween jelly 3.5/5 (127 Votes)