cheese and onion pie
pie is always a great favourite whether it be sweet or savoury. This is amazing quick easy and tasty.
- 100g of grated mature cheddar.
- half red or white onion diced.
- 1 packet of ready made pastry.
- 1 packet of instant mash mix made up with a little butter(can use frozen mash mix too just heat it up first as normal)
- a little milk to brush on top of pie
- a little flour to dust the work surface for rolling pastry
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
first pre heat oven to 180 gas mark 5.for fan assist check user guide
roll out ready made pastry to around 1 cm thick. place in 8 inch pie tray and cut off edges. put spare edges to one side for later use.
put instant mash mix, cheese and onion into bowl and mix together until cheese is thoroughly spread around .
fill pie case with cheese mix. then roll out a lid with remaining pastry and cover over pie. neaten the edges by cutting off hanging bits of pastry.
crimp edges with a fork or nip with fingers this is so lid does not come off. spread on a little milk using fingers or pastry brush.
place on middle shelf in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes.
During cooking time I usually put a tray of oven chips in they take the same amount of time.
keep an eye on pastry you dont want to burn it.
once cooked allow to cool for around 3 minutes. perfect for getting plates ready and plating up the chips and mixing gravy (optional)
serve pie and enjoy.
any left over pie can be frozen for a later date. just defrost and enjoy or warm up in microwave. be more adventurous by adding some bacon or even sausage and beans to the pie kids really do like this.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (230 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (226 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (177 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)