Red Velvet Cake
- 350g butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- 300g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50ml red food colouring
- 800g ready white icing
- 244g soft butter
- 600g icing sugar
- 75g cream cheese
- Couple of drops of vanilla essence
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a cake tin.
In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together.
Slowly beat in the eggs, vanilla and salt, as well as half of the flour.
Add the rest of the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Give it another good mix.
Next add in food colouring and mix quite well.
Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr 15mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Take the cake out of the oven and leave it to cool. Next remove it from the tin and leave it to cool some more.
Buttercream: In a large bowl, add softened butter and icing sugar until light.
Beat in the cream cheese and a add 2 - 3 drops of vanilla essence.
Cut the cake in half and spread with buttercream.
Using the remaining buttercream, put a thin layer on the top and sides of the cake.
Pop in the fridge 30 minutes.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (177 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (163 Votes)
- Raspberry Rose Cupcakes 3.9/5 (121 Votes)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes 5/5 (18 Votes)
- Eye-boggling Masterpiece 3.4/5 (142 Votes)