Chocolate mocha mousse
- • 150g (5½ oz) plain dark chocolate
- • 2 large egg yolks
- • 45g (1½ oz) caster sugar
- • 150g (5½ oz) full-fat crème fraîche
- • 150ml (5fl oz) double or whipping cream
- • 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- • chocolate curls or finely grated chocolate
- to decorate
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Break the chocolate into a large heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of gently simmering water. The base of the bowl should not touch the water. Leave until just melted, then remove the pan from the heat, stir until smooth and creamy and leave the chocolate to cool slightly.
2. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, as above. Whisk with an electric hand whisk on low speed for 4 minutes, or use a balloon whisk, which will take a little longer.
3. When the mixture has become paler and thicker, remove the bowl from the heat and continue whisking for a further minute. Set aside to cool slightly, stirring occasionally so the mixture does not stiffen. If it does, stir in 1-2 teaspoons of the crème fraîche to slacken.
4. Pour the cream into a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle over the coffee. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in the crème fraîche. Fold the cream mixture into the cooled dark chocolate, then fold in the egg yolk mixture. Make sure everything is well combined
5. Spoon into glasses and chill for 1 hour. Decorate with chocolate curls, see my tip below, or finely grated chocolate (using chilled chocolate).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (462 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (235 Votes)
- Christmas Carrot Chocolate Nutty... 3.8/5 (197 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.3/5 (257 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Easy Chocolate Mousse 3.4/5 (201 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Sweet Dreamy Romantic Raspberry... 3.4/5 (153 Votes)
- Romantic Chocolate Kissing Pie 3.7/5 (119 Votes)