Our Ultimate Beetroot & Chocolate Cake
- 250g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot
- 200g quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 200g plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter*
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Pre heat the oven to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm loose bottomed cake tin.
Chop the beetroot into quarters and puree in a food processor.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and put to one side - some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
Add the remaining ingredients, including the broken chocolate, to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little crème fraiche on the side.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (465 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (235 Votes)
- Christmas Carrot Chocolate Nutty... 3.8/5 (197 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.3/5 (260 Votes)
- Choco-nuts brioche bread and... 3.2/5 (256 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (144 Votes)