Chicken Kasha (Slow cooked chicken in spicy yoghurt curry )
By Joydeep Pal
A very popular Bengali Main dish, Chicken Kasha, is cooked almost everywhere. It does not need any introduction and I will come straight to the recipe. The curry can be made hot or medium depending on the amount of chillies.
- 1 kg Chicken (washed and medium pcs)
- 100 gm Yoghurt or curd
- 2 pc Tomato (big)
- 3 or 4 Green Chillies
- 2 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 6-8 tablespoons of Oil : Mustard (preferred)/Sunflower oil
- Medium Size Onion: 2 nos
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 3 small one
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3
- Bay leaves (Tejpata) : 3
- Black peppercorns (Golmorich) : 10
- Garam Masala: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder (Jeera): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Sugar: 1 tea-spoon
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the chicken in bowl with the following ingredients, yoghurt/curd, ginger garlic paste, onion paste, cummin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chopped tomato and salt along with 3 tablespoons of oil . Keep it aside for 30mins.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onions till they start turning golden and keep them separate.
Then, add the cummin, bay leaves, peppercorns, cardamom, clove and cinnamon to fry little bit.
Add green chillies and then add the marinated chicken slowly mixing in the pan. Put a lid and cook in the medium heat/flame for 10 mins.
Keep checking at regular interval so that the bottom doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. If the chicken is more than half cooked, then add some water and cook till they are fully cooked.
Ready to serve hot with rice or pulao and enjoy the aroma.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken and Mediterranean bake 5/5 (66 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Mango chicken curry 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
- Indian Chicken Curry 3.6/5 (88 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sundays: Garam Masala... 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.