Badhakopir Torkari (Stir-fried Cabbage)
By Joydeep Pal
One of the most popular vegetarian dishes in Eastern India.It is cooked in Bengali style.The basic process is mentioned here but it can be made more spicy and tasty.
- 1 medium sized Cabbage (Bandha Kopi)
- 2 or 3 Potatoes
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 pc Tomato (big)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 tablespoons of Ginger Paste
- 3 tablespoons of Oil : Mustard (preferred)/Sunflower oil
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 2-3 small one
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3-4
- Garam Masala: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder (Jeera): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Sugar: 1 tea-spoon
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Chop the cabbage as fine as possible and keep it aside.Also dice the potatoes in small pieces.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the potatoes separately and keep them aside.
Then, heat oil again and add the cummin,cardamom,clove and cinnamon to fry little bit.
Add ginger paste, tomato to saute along with cummin powder.
Add the green peas, potatoes and the cabbage along with turmeric powder and salt and mix well to cook by itself. Put a lid over the frying pan to cook and soften faster.
Check after 5 minutes whether the cabbage and the potatoes have softened well otherwise then add little water.
Cook in medium flame/medium heat and mix it around at regular intervals to avoid getting the food to stick at the bottom of the pan.
Add the sugar and mix them well.
Dry the whole food as much you can without getting stuck at the base. Add little garam masala powder.
Ready to serve hot with rice or chapatti/paratha. Enjoy!!!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (230 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (156 Votes)
- Leek,onion and mushroom pie 3.8/5 (112 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.