Vegetarian Toad in the Hole!
- 2 small eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 100 g plain flour
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 8 large vegetarian sausages
- 1 large red onion (or 2 small)
- 2 garlic cloves
- mixed herbs
- olive oil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
In a roasting tin, pour in the equivalent of 2/3 tsp olive oil. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. When the oven is hot, preheat the tin in the oven for 10 minutes.
Slice the red onion(s) into thick slices and separate the layers.
Place the onion, garlic and sausages in a frying pan with a little oil and brown them. Set aside or keep on low heat.
Prepare the batter:
Sift the flour into a large bowl, make a well, add the egg, then whisk continuously while adding the milk. When the batter is smooth and thick, stir in the mustard, salt and pepper and add a pinch or two of mixed herbs. whisk again for 1 minute.
Place the onions and sausages in the hot roasting tin. Immediately pour over the batter. Return to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. The batter should be risen and golden on top.
Serve immediately. You can accompany this dish with seasonal vegetables like carrots, green beans or cabbage.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Pork with Caramelised Apple and... 3.5/5 (158 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)