- 1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off)
- broken into pieces
- 500ml milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- 50g butter
- 100g strong cheddar
- 2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- if you have them
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 mins.
Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish
Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7
Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken. Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick.
Turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and pour over the cauliflower. Scatter over the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
Pop in the oven the Cauliflower cheese and bake for 20 mins until bubbling.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Shortbread Snazzles 3.6/5 (144 Votes)
- Cream of cauliflower soup with... 4/5 (25 Votes)