Cauliflower cheese using spelt flour
- 1 fresh cauliflower
- 3 oz organic cheese
- 300ml organic full fat milk
- 1 oz organic butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon of wholemeal spelt flour
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Put whole cauliflower (do not chop up) in saucepan and half-cook it. While cauliflower is cooking, melt butter on a very low heat in a medium sized saucepan, add the flour and, stirring continually, cook the flour in the butter for at least 3-4 minutes.
Very gradually, add the milk bit by bit, stirring continually. Each time the milk you put in has been incorporated into the mixture, add more milk until all the milk is in. NOTE the mixture may thicken very quickly with the first addition of milk and then return to a thin consistency when all of the milk is in.
Once all the milk is incorporated into the mixture, increase the heat. Stir continuously until the mixture starts to thicken. NOTE you may need to take the pan off the heat if it thickens quickly.
Once the basic sauce is thick enough remove from the heat and add 2 oz of the cheese and mix in thoroughly.
Remove the half cooked cauliflower from the saucepan, drain it thoroughly and place in a casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over the whole cauliflower and sprinkle the remaining 1oz of grated cheese over the top. Cook in oven on gas mark 4-5 for 15-20 mins.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Cheese sauce 3.3/5 (160 Votes)
- Chocolate and Vanilla Cookies 3.4/5 (125 Votes)
- How to Cook the Macaroni Cheese... 3.6/5 (61 Votes)
- Cream of cauliflower soup with... 4/5 (25 Votes)
- 10 Minute Stuffed Peppers 3/5 (66 Votes)