- - 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- softened at room temperature
- - 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- - 1 free-range egg
- lightly beaten
- - 275g/10oz plain flour
- - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- - To decorate
- - 400g/14oz icing sugar
- - 3-4 tbsp water
- - 2-3 drops food colourings
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 18mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until combined.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until well combined.
4. Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together as a dough.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1cm/½in.
6. Using biscuit cutters, cut biscuits out of the dough and carefully place onto the baking tray.
7. Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to harden for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
8. For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in the food colouring.
9. Carefully spread the icing onto the biscuits using a knife and set aside until the icing hardens.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (204 Votes)
- Eye-boggling Masterpiece 3.4/5 (142 Votes)
- Earl Grey Macarons with Cream... 3.4/5 (138 Votes)
- Nanny's Bara Brith 3/5 (120 Votes)
- Duo of chocolate and raspberry... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Christmas shortbread with almonds 3.6/5 (63 Votes)