I have to admit I have 'borrowed' this recipe from my husband! He started cooking this for me when we first got together, he used to put it in the slow cooker in the morning and leave it to do it's thing all day - it was better than him spending ages at the cooker!!! I have modified it slightly as we no longer have a slow cooker, but it is still just as tasty!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- roughly chopped
- 1 large potato
- peeled and diced
- 1 x 400g tin baked beans
- 4 sausages
- chopped into bite sized pieces
- Salt and white pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 180mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
Add the potato, beans, 1/2 the bean tin of water and the sausages, stir everything together.
Add a good pinch of salt and approx 1/2 tbsp of white pepper.
Cover and simmer on the lowest heat possible for at least 2 hours, the longer the better! Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
It sounds like a lot of white pepper, but it really does make a huge difference to the end result. Black pepper really doesn't do anything for this dish, it has to be white pepper!
You can serve this on it's own or with crusty bread to scoop up the beans and sausage pieces!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (453 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (91 Votes)
- Baked Beans 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Sausage and Mash 3/5 (111 Votes)
- Onion gravy with sausages & mash 2.8/5 (100 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.