Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango
- 1 cup Thai sweet rice (aka sticky rice or glutinous rice)
- 2 mangoes
- finely sliced
- 5 tbsp palm sugar (or substitute with brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk (thick)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Soak the rice in a cup water for 30 minutes, or if you have time up to four hours. Do not drain the rice.
Add 3/4 cup water with 1/4 can coconut milk along with the salt and palm sugar. Stir well into the rice.
Put the rice on a medium boil and cover with a lid (not fully – allow steam to escape). Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes (or until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice).
Turn off the heat and put the lid on tight. Let it sit for 10 minutes
For the sauce, warm (don’t boil) the remaining coconut milk on a medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 3 tbsp sugar.
Taste the sauce to see if it’s sweet enough. Add more sugar, if desired. (The sauce will not taste as sweet when added to the rice).
Create an oval mound of sticky rice on a serving plate and top with slices of mango. Pour the sauce over the rice.
Add green food colouring to the rice to make a wonderful contrast of colours – yellow mango against green rice.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (462 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.7/5 (166 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (152 Votes)
- Eleanor's Vegetable Egg Fried Rice 3.4/5 (147 Votes)
- Noisettes 3.9/5 (112 Votes)
- Coriander chicken 3.3/5 (149 Votes)
- Sweet Peanut Sauce 3.5/5 (140 Votes)
- Thai Green Beef Curry with Eggplant 4.2/5 (73 Votes)