Chicken & Yoghurt Fatteh
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 3lbs)
- 3 pitta breads (dried and broken into small pieces)
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 onions quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 4tsp salted butter
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 6 cardamoms
- 2 pieces of mastic (finely grinded with a pestle and mortar)
- Yoghurt Sauce
- 4 cups of plain yoghurt
- 6 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 tsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and heat the chicken until it turns light brown.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the chicken and sauté.
3. Add the dry spices to the chicken and cook for one hour, until the chicken becomes tender.
4. Once the chicken has cooled, remove bones and break into small pieces.
5. Use the chicken stock to soak the dry pieces of pitta bread.
6. Prepare the yoghurt sauce by adding all the ingredients mentioned above.
7. Boil the rice in salty water and drain when cooked.
8. When you are ready to serve, heat the soaked bread, chicken, rice and yoghurt sauce (only for 1 minute).
9. Present the chicken & yoghurt fatteh in a large dish, by layering the pitta bread at the bottom followed by the yoghurt sauce, rice and chicken.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Baba Ganoush 3.5/5 (151 Votes)
- Syrian Za'atar Breads 3.4/5 (140 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato Soup 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)
- Ryan's Tomato Pasta 4.3/5 (71 Votes)
- North African Stew with Tomato and... 2.9/5 (163 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.