Traditional Cottage Pie
Traditional Favourite providing healthy food eating comfort!
Comfort food and healthy eating!
- Mince Beef
- 4 Large Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Parsnip
- 1/2 Swede
- Peas (frozen)
- Beef Stock
- Mixed Herbs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Boil a large pan of water. Peel and chop the potatoes into quarters ready for cooking. Chop the onions, carrots, parsnip, and swede. Heat a little oil in a large pan, add the chopped veg and fry, strirring for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften. Add the mince and fry untill browned.
Stir in the stock, frozen peas & herbs and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, whilst stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes to the pan of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
Drain the potatoes then mash with butter and milk until all lumps are gone. Pour the filling into a casserole dish and top with the mash using a fork to level the top.
Cook in the oven for 40 minutes until the mash begins to golden. Add cheese if desired and let it crisp. Serve with brocolli or seasonal veg to add extra nutrition. Add gravy too if desired.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (157 Votes)
- Easy & Quick Apple Crumble 3.5/5 (128 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.