Golden munchy and chewy oaty squares great for morning break with a hot cuppa. Big favourite with my large family. Good to do a double batch or they won't last long!
- 4 oz (100g) margarine or butter
- 4 oz (100g) demerara sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 8 oz (225g) 'quick cooking' oats
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In a saucepan, melt margarine, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla essence. Heat gently until melted and sugar dissolved.
Remove from heat and stir in oats until well-combined.
Press mixture into shallow, greased 8 in. (20cm) square baking pan. Bake on 180* c for 25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes then cut into 12 squares. Leave to cool. When completely cold, loosen with a flat knife and lift each square from the pan.
For a chocolatey change, as soon as you remove pan from the oven, sprinkle with 100g chocolate dots and spread melted chocolate gently with a flat knife to cover evenly.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato Soup 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)
- Rye and Spelt Flatbreads 3.4/5 (133 Votes)