Gluten free, dairy free
- 900g mixed or white fish if more easily available (fresh or frozen)
- 150ml olive oil
- 2-3 medium onions
- finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery
- 225g tomatoes
- either tinned chopped or fresh and skinned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Pinch saffron fronds dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Water for covering
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
If using white fish, either clean, fillet and skin if fresh or poach in boiling water if frozen following instructions. Poaching should take up to 15/20 minutes if using cold water. Once the fish is prepared, cut into large, think pieces. If using shellfish, remove these from their shells
Heat the oil and cook the onion and celery on a gentle heat, covering for 5 minutes. Once translucent, add all the remaining ingredients together with the fish and add water until covered. Bring the soup mixture to the boil.
Cover and lower the heat. Cook gently on a low heat for 5 minutes. If you are using shellfish, after 5 minutes add the shellfish and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Remove the fish soup from the heat and taste. Add lemon juice, salt and black pepper as required. You can also add paprika.
The Bouillabaisse is from the Basque region.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (195 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Masala Fish Goujons with... 3.6/5 (149 Votes)
- Mirka Mas with tomatoe (fish) 3.1/5 (97 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.