Chocolate Spread and Pear Cake (competition)
Made with a whole tub of chocolate spread, who can resist this delight?!
- 400g Chocolate Spread (!!)
- 50g unsalted butter
- softened (plus some for greasing)
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 large eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa
- 2 ripe but not squishy (roundish) pears
- 2tbsp apricot jam
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 160°C or 140°C fan
Butter and line a 23cm springform baking tin.
Warm the apricot jam to a spreadable consistancy. Put to one side.
Briefly whisk the eggs with a fork, just to break up the yolks.
Put the chocolate spread, butter, eggs and salt into a large bowl. Beat for 1 min until mixture is smooth and slightly bubbly.
Quarter the pears. Cut 4 slits into the fat part of each quarter. Press lightly to make fan shapes.
Glaze the pears with the jam from Step 1.
Sift the flour and cocoa into the chocolate mixture and fold in until smooth.
Scrape into the tin and smooth.
Rest the pears on the top (do not press into the mixture!)
Bake for 40 mins until risen with a thin crust. (The cake should have a very slight wobble and a skewer inserted into the middle should come out coated with soft cake batter)
Brush another layer of jam over the pears to prevent browning.
Cut and eat immediately
Alternatively: cool in the tin and serve warm or cold, perhaps with some ice cream
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (468 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (236 Votes)
- Choco-nuts brioche bread and... 3.2/5 (256 Votes)
- Lamb Samosa 3.3/5 (190 Votes)
- Chocolate Biscuit and Nutella Cake 3.3/5 (139 Votes)
- Nutella Cakes 3.3/5 (132 Votes)
- Recipe: Pain au chocolat with... 3.4/5 (149 Votes)
- Chocolate caramel pear cake 4.3/5 (27 Votes)