Yellow Rice, Red Pepper
Perfect for hassle-free lunches, this colourful meal is easy to make the night before.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper (if Esther hasn't munched on it already!)
- thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger
- 250g basmati rice
- 1tsp turmeric
- 600ml vegetable stock
- OPTIONAL: 25g flaked almonds
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Make up the vegetable stock according to the pack instructions.
Finely chop the onion.
Deseed and chop the pepper.
Finely chop the ginger
(Toast the almonds)
Heat the oil in a wide pan with a lid.
Cook the onion, pepper and ginger for 5 minutes, stirring until softened.
Stir in the rice and turmeric for 1 minute.
Pour over the stock.
When the stock begins to simmer, cover with lid.
Cook for 12 mins until rice is tender and stock has been absorbed.
If rice is tender but stock remains, turn off the heat, recover and leave for 2-3 minutes.
Season, (stir through almonds) and serve.
You could add roasted chicken or quartered boiled eggs.
Alternatively, you could add mushrooms and bacon, or anything else you fancy :)
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.6/5 (244 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Eleanor's Vegetable Egg Fried Rice 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Noisettes 3.9/5 (112 Votes)
- Rye and Spelt Flatbreads 3.4/5 (131 Votes)
- Banana Loaf 3.4/5 (132 Votes)
- Curried Vegetables with Golden Rice 3.5/5 (106 Votes)