Apple tray bake
This is an hour baking tray bake. It's a very moist cake perfect for pudding warm with custard or cold with a cuppa tea!
- 450g cooking apples (such as Bramley)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 225g butter
- 280g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- demerara sugar
- to sprinkle
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a rectangular baking tin (approx 27cm x 20cm) with parchment paper. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples then squeeze the lemon juice over. Set to one side.
Place the butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth. Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange half the apples over the top of the mixture, then repeat the layers. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar. 3 Bake for 45-50 mins until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out of tin and remove paper. Cut into bars or squares.
I like to use two different types of apple.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Moroccan marinated chicken with... 3.5/5 (150 Votes)
- Apple Bread and Butter Pudding 3.4/5 (148 Votes)
- Noisettes 3.9/5 (112 Votes)
- Apple layered cake with maple... 3.4/5 (135 Votes)