Sausages with Apple Parsnip Mash & Red Onion Gravy
- Sausages with Red Onion Gravy
- 6 sausages
- 1 red onion
- chopped finely
- 2 tsp palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 300ml (1 + 1/4 cup) beef stock
- Parsnip & Apple Mash
- 350g (about 6 medium) parsnips
- peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 handful of dried apple slices
- 3 salad onions
- chopped finely
- 3 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Salt & pepper
- to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the grill and when it's heated, add the sausages. Grill for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, boil the parsnips for 10 minutes or until tender.
In a separate pan, heat with olive oil and add the red onion slices. Sprinkle over the palm sugar and fry for about 10 minutes until the onions start to caramelize.
When the parsnips are ready, drain and return to the pan. Add the yoghurt and apple slices then blend with a hand blend or mash until combined and smooth. Season to taste and stir in the salad onions.
When the onions are caramelized, add the arrowroot powder and stir until it's thickened. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil then lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Transfer the mash to the plate and place the sausages on top. When the gravy is ready, pour over and enjoy!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (204 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)
- good and proper steak pie 4.1/5 (83 Votes)
- Butternut squash mash with onion... 3.4/5 (100 Votes)
- Sausage and Mash 3/5 (111 Votes)
- Onion gravy with sausages & mash 2.8/5 (100 Votes)