Methi Chicken (Slow cooked chicken in fenugreek leaves)
By Joydeep Pal
This time I decided to cook chicken in fenugreek leaves after a successfull trial with Fish. As usual, the gravy can be made hot or medium depending on the amount of chillies.
- 1 kg Chicken (washed and medium pcs)
- 30 gm Kasoori Methi ( Fenugreek leaves)
- 2 or 3 Green Chillies
- 2 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 6-7 tablespoons of Oil : Sunflower oil
- Medium Size Onion: 1 no.
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 3 small one
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3
- Bay leaves (Tejpata) : 3
- Black pepper : 2 table-spoon
- Coriander powder (Dhaniya): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Wash the chicken and then mix with the following ingredients, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, kasoori methi and salt along with 4 tablespoons of oil . Keep it aside for 30mins to marinade.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onions till they start turning golden and keep them separate.
Then, add the cummin, cardamom, clove and cinnamon to fry little bit. Add green chillies and then add the marinated chicken slowly mixing in the pan. Put a lid and cook in the medium heat/flame for 15 mins.
Keep checking at regular interval so that the bottom doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. If the chicken is more than half cooked, then add some water and cook till they are fully cooked.
Best served hot with bread or pulao.