Chicken Biryani (Chicken with fried rice)
By Joydeep Pal
Biryani is one of the very popular dishes in India but its origin was in the times of Mughal Emperors. Local variants are available, although Lucknow and Hyderabadi cuisines are more famous. I have explored the Lucknow style cuisine similar to the Mughlai cuisine. It is hot favourite among various communities globally.
- 500gm Chicken (boneless and medium pcs)
- 1 cup Yoghurt or curd
- 3 or 4 Green Chillies (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 6-8 tablespoons of Oil : Ghee (preferred)/Sunflower oil
- Medium Size Onion: 2 no.s
- 10-15 Almonds (optional)
- 2 Egg (boiled and sliced)
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 3 small and 3 big
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3
- Bay leaves (Tejpata) : 3
- Black peppercorns (Golmorich) : 10
- Garam Masala: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder (Jeera): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Ginger powder: 1 table-spoon
- Garlic powder:1 table-spoon
- Red Chilli powder: 1/2 table-spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 table-spoon
- Saffron: A pinch
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
At the same time, mix the chicken in bowl with the following ingredients, yoghurt/curd, ginger garlic paste, onion paste, and the rest of the powdered spices along with 3 tablespoons of oil and salt. Keep it aside also to marinate for 30 mins.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onions till they start turning golden and keep them separate. Also, fry till the almonds till golden.
Then, add the cummin, bay leaves, peppercorns, cardamom, clove and cinnamon to fry little bit.
Add the marinated chicken slowly mixing in the pan. Put a lid and cook in the medium heat/flame for 15-20 mins.
Keep checking at regular interval so that the bottom doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. When the chicken is more than three-quarter cooked, then keep the chicken with the gravy separate but leave 20-30% percent of the gravy to cook the rice in it.
Add around 300-400 ml water in the gravy left in the pan and add the rice to mix and boil till half cooked.
Now, spread the rice over the chicken and make a sandwich of rice and the chicken with gravy. Then sprinkle the fried onion and fried almonds over it. Also, add the finely sliced boiled egg in each layer. Cover and cook on a low heat until the rice is tender. Mix the chicken and rice before serving.
Serve hot with Yoghurt or, salad and enjoy the smell.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (146 Votes)
- Eleanor's Vegetable Egg Fried Rice 3.4/5 (147 Votes)
- Mackerel Fried Rice 3.3/5 (144 Votes)
- Charlottes Fried Rice 3.4/5 (133 Votes)
- monday night chicken rice 3.2/5 (94 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.