Italian Style Couscous Cakes
I made couscous cakes using basil and oregano to give that Italian touch. Basil leaves have such pronounced rich and peppery flavour and oregano had its own subtle flavour and delicate taste. Oregano and basil is such a winning combination and that is why they are mostly escorted together in the dishes like pizza, bruschetta, pasta and many classic recipes. I combined couscous with both these herbs and I loved the overall green colour it had. The cake had unique essence of the herbs and was packed with flavours. An experiment worth doing again and again *clap**clap**clap* ;-)
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- Salt to taste
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves.
- 2 green chilles chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- rinsed and drained (canned)
- Olive oil for roasting
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Put the couscous and little salt in a small pan. Add 1 cup boiling water to the couscous, cover with the pan lid and let sit for 4 to 5 minutes.
Coarsely pulse chickpeas, basil, orgenao, garlic, green chiilies in a food processor.
Uncover the couscous and fluff with a fork.
In a large bowl, add the couscous, chickpeas coarse paste, salt and lime juice and mix well.
Heat oil in a pan. Shape the mixture into patties and roast from both the sides until golden.
Use boiled chickpeas if you can’t get canned.
Boiled potatoes can also be added instead of chickpeas.
Other herbs like mint, parsley, coriander can also be included.
Include other vegetables like sweet corn, peas, and onions for more filling cakes.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (201 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Italian Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce 3.6/5 (145 Votes)
- Best Bolognese 3.5/5 (141 Votes)