Basil infused Pasta with Courgettes
Does fresh basil excite your tastebuds? If so, this relatively quick unusual pasta recipe using home-made basil pesto could be a real winner. Grow your own basil for optimum flavour!
- PESTO INGREDS.:
- 1/2 garlic clove finely chopped OR 1 tablsp. finely chopped red onion
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablsps. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablsp. pine nuts lightly toasted
- 1 tablsp. freshly grated parmesan
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teasp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- MAIN INGREDS.
- 4 portions dried Pasta (Spaghetti
- Tagliatelle or Penne)
- 1 large or 2 small courgettes - grated
- Rind of 1 lemon - grated
- Grated parmesan to taste for serving
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
To make Pesto: Place garlic or onion, seasoning, basil, toasted pine nuts & parmesan in a food processor & whizz, alternatively use a mortar & pestle to mix to a reasonably fine paste. Gradually add olive oil & lemon juice continuing to blend or pound to reach a saucy consistency.
Cook pasta to taste. Strain reserving a little of the cooking water. Add in as much pesto as required & fold in courgette & lemon rind. Stir gently adding some cooking water if a little dry.
Serve with grated parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and sprigs of fresh basil.
Marie F's tip: For an interesting colour variation use red basil. For non-vegetarians, some flaked smoked mackeral or strips of grilled or fried streaky bacon could also be added.