Wild mushroom and Whiskey Stroganoff
A rich and creamy sauce with a slight kick thanks to the Whiskey! Best served with fillet steak, chive crushed potatoes and seasonal Greens.
- 450g fillet Steak (Any strips of Beef is fine )
- 300g wild mushrooms
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 60g unsalted butter
- 300ml sour cream
- 1 shot of whiskey ( single malt gives a very distinct flavour )
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hot paprika
- 1 tbs
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- freshly ground salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Cut the steak into slices about 1cm thick then cut each slice across the grain into strips 1cm wide.Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the paprika and onion and crushed garlic, cook slowly until the onion is soft and sweet, but not browned.
Add the mushrooms, whiskey and lemon juice and fry for 3 minutes.Transfer the mixture to a bowl and keep warm.
Using the same pan you cooked the onion mixture in, heat one and a half tablespoons off olive oil until very hot. Add half the fillet steak and fry quickly, seasoning and turning it as you do so, for just over one minute. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the oil and steak and allow to rest.
Return the onion mixture to the pan and pour in the soured cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or so, until thickened
Return the onion mixture to the pan and pour in the sour cream and bring to the boil, simmer for a minute or so until thickened
Return the steak to the pan and heat very gently for one minute, the beef should not be cooked any further.
Serve with crushed chive potato and seasonal greens.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Beef stew 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Beef and Guinness Stew 3.4/5 (137 Votes)
- Shepherd's pie with carrots 3.3/5 (138 Votes)
- Artichoke Heart and Beef Stroganoff 3.4/5 (68 Votes)
- My Mummy's beef stroganoff 3.8/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.